A GUIDE FOR CHURCHES
Individuals in our congregations, communities, and our own families often need help navigating the complex U.S. immigration system.
Some practical ways churches can help:
- Contact Disciples Immigration Legal Counsel for a free consultation and referral
- Find an immigration lawyer or accredited representative
- Help with legal fees and application costs
- Translate documents
- Help gather the evidence requested by the lawyer or representative
- Provide transportation or childcare for court dates and immigration interviews
- Visit individuals in immigration detention
BE THE CHURCH
The most important thing a church community can do is to provide emotional and spiritual support to someone during what is often a long and arduous process. Sometimes the end result is joyous, and sometimes it is heartbreaking. Individuals need a strong community to listen to them, cry with them, pray with them, and hope for them.
Want to do more?
- Teach English as a Second Language
- Start a detention visitation program
- Host a legal clinic with local attorneys
- Tutor individuals studying for the naturalization (citizenship) test
The possibilities are endless. We’d love to hear what your congregation is doing!